Many of you might have heard the term email marketing on the internet, at conferences and perhaps during marketing strategy meetings. But do you know what it is or what does it do?
Yes, we know that if asked you would say that Email marketing is the kind of marketing that improves business communications, targets specific key markets and is profitable and environmental friendly. But this isn’t exactly email marketing. This is just the lay-man way of putting it. Email Marketing is far more complex & a wide subject. Let us help you get a hold of the concept of it properly.
Email marketing is basically the kind of marketing when a company sends a commercial message to a group of people via an email. There are many ways of marketing through emails. Precisely it can be done through advertisements, requests for business or sales. Any type of email communication qualifies for being called email marketing if it aids in building customer trust in a product or company or brand recognition.
Email marketing helps to maintain an email list that has been segmented based on several factors including the length of time addresses have been on the list, customers’ likes and dislikes, spending habits and other important criteria. Emails are then created and sent out to specifically target members of your email list, providing them with a personalized email detailing information that they are interested in or have requested. This helps promote trust and loyalty to a company while also increasing sales.
Email Marketing is of two types. Let’s throw some light on them
- Transactional emails:
Transactional email is one way of email marketing which works on customer’s action with a company. The purpose of transactional emails is “to facilitate, complete, or confirm a commercial transactions that the recipient has previously agreed to enter into with the sender”, along with a few other narrow definitions of transactional messaging. These can include dropped basket messages, password reset emails, purchase or order confirmation emails, order status emails, reorder emails and email receipts. In simple terms the primary purpose of a transactional email is to convey information regarding the action that triggered it.
- Direct emails:
Another method of email marketing is called Direct email or interruption based marketing. It involves sending an email to communicate a promotional message. This follows a route where the companies collect a list of customer or prospect email addresses to send direct promotional messages to or they can also rent a list of email addresses from service companies.
Tips & Tricks of Email Marketing:
- It is very important for the reader to open your mail and read it. This will only be possible if the mails that you send have catchy headlines and fantastic content. If your email lacks any of the stated things that be assured that your email will be lost in the shuffle.
- Many a times it happens that people delete unread mails or open a mail but forget to read the mail & subsequently the mails are forgotten about. There can be a lot of reasons pertaining to this, Timing can be the main attributed cause of that. The trick is to send out your emails at the best time of the day, on the best day of the week and at the right intervals to get as many people as possible to open them. Knowing which days of the week and times of the day more people open emails can give your email marketing campaigns a boost.
- Ask people to unsubscribe. Yes you read that right! Most of the times its best to ask people to unsubscribe cause it is always better to have 1,000 good customers than to have a large crowd that doesn’t even care.
- Follow the 10 people rule. Well, its a very simple rule, all you’ve to do is to identify 10 people that you know personally and who can benefit from your mails.
- Start asking for replies. This can turn the emails into an interactive session wherein you will get to know your client’s needs & requirements and would be able to help them better.
- Humor always wins the brownie points. Light humor is one of the best ways to instantly connect with people and get their attention. It’s an excellent way to stand out from the dozen of emails your clients receive every day. Good sense of humor might strike a cord with your client & help you get the attention.
- Specials for every month – There are oodles of events and celebration days round the year and you can utilize them by sending out marketing campaigns. But stay away from Christmas, New Year’s Day and Valentine’s day, as they are good but overused. Put your mind & focus on something that is relevant to your business.
- Button – The use of buttons isn’t limited to landing pages. In fact, email marketers can greatly benefit from the use of buttons. Make your button your call-to-action, it can be made in to a 3D effect, make sure that it is a contrasting, non-grey color.
- Be dynamic – It’s easy to spend a lot of time optimizing the body of your content but it’s worth thinking about the periphery as well. Most emails contain multiple elements that you can play with. Each of these is an opportunity in disguise.
Recent research from Marketing Sherpa had the following findings:
- Weekdays are more effective than weekends.
- Tuesdays had the highest effectiveness, with 26% saying their campaigns performed best on that day.
- Wednesdays are a close second at 23%, while Thursdays at 18% beat out Mondays at 15%, and double the effectiveness of Fridays at 9%.
- Sundays are the worst, with 42% saying they’re least effective. Saturday is right behind Sunday at 39% least effective.
- As for the time of day, earlier seems to be better. Emails sent between midnight and 3 a.m.—so they’re waiting in your subscribers’ inboxes when they first check their email—are most effective, according to the latest Email Marketing Metrics Report from MailerMailer. It is quite obvious that the best way to find your own most effective days and times is to analyze the results from your email marketing campaigns. So go out & start finding out when your highest open rates are and adjust your mailing schedule. We understand that it’s difficult to start from scratch but dream of conquering the mountains is what is going to take you places. Email marketing isn’t a new thing but something which can be used in a unique way. All you need to do is follow the guidelines just like how we mentioned & get going. If done ethically & with focus you’ll start getting amazing results in just a few months or even days. So kick-start your bandwagon & start using email marketing in your stride.
Basically the crux of the blog was to tell the readers that Email Marketing is a very easy and quick method of reaching out to target markets without time being spent on print space, television or radio time or high production costs. It has its set of benefits that can help you lead your company to new heights. But only when one knows how to use Email Marketing in their advantage. We hope we were able to help you have a better understanding of the concept of Email Marketing.
Comments are closed.